Saturday 1 April 2017

Interview with Debut Author, Carlie Sorosiak

I was so so lucky to receive an ARC of the wonderful If Birds Fly Back by Carlie Sorosiak thanks to My Kinda Book! And now I've doubled my luck because I have had the privilege of interviewing the lovely, Carlie Sorosiak who has been kind enough to answer some questions for me to share!

So for anyone who doesn't know what If Birds Fly Back is all
about here's the Goodreads synopsis:

 Linny has been fascinated by disappearances, ever since her sister Grace ran away in the middle of the night without saying goodbye.

Sebastian can tell you how many galaxies there are, and knows how much plutonium weighs. But the one thing he can’t figure out is the identity of his birth father.

They’ve never met, but Linny and Sebastian have one thing in common: an obsession with famous novelist and filmmaker Alvaro Herrera, who went missing three years ago and has just reappeared. As they learn more about the mystery of Alvaro, Linny and Sebastian uncover the answers they’ve been searching for.

If your not already intrigued and excited about this book then you're just going to have to take my word for it. I literally flew through this book, no pun intended because this book is amazing.  I'm not just saying that, honestly, go and pre-order it right now (well wait until you've read the interview- but then head over to Amazon!). This book is due to be published June 27th 2017 -there's a date for your diaries! 

Anyways, without further ado lets get started on the interview, oh I'm so excited!

1) What made you want to write a novel? 

I've always known that I wanted to be a writer. Even at school when I was little, I'd hide extra books in my desk and read on the playground. Once I discovered that people wrote novels -that they didn't just drop out of the sky- I was sold.

2) Can you tell us about your journey to becoming a published author? 

If Birds Fly Back is actually my third attempt at a novel. I wrote one when I was a teenager and another for acceptance to an MA in creative writing and publishing. During my second MA, I had the opportunity to intern in the children's department at Faber & Faber, where I met my agent, Claire Wilson at Rogers, Coleridge and White, and I submitted Birds to her almost right away. I met my UK editor shortly after that, and spoke to my US editor on the phone. I knew they were perfect fits! 

3) Can you describe in three words how you felt when you received your publishing deal? 

Joyous, anxious, (slightly) terrified. I know that's technically four words - oops!
 

4) What sparked the idea for your novel, If Birds Fly Back?

When I was younger, I spent a lot of time volunteering in care homes - and I always thought it would be interesting to set a YA novel in one. I like the juxtaposition between young and old. That was the initial spark. I also wanted to tackle familial expectations: who you want to be versus who your parents want you to be. 

5) What books/ authors would you consider to be an inspiration to you? 

I read The Sky is Everywhere in grad school and it changed my life. I love YA that is both literary and commercial - so books by John Green, Rainbow Rowell, and Jandy Nelson are particular inspirations.  
6) If you could choose to be a character in any book just for a day, who would you choose and why? 

It's probably extremely predictable, but I'd Be Hermione from Harry Potter. She showed me that frizzy-haired book nerds can be extremely cool - and we even share a birthday!

7) How did the title of your novel come around? 

I was thinking about things that were unknown. If Birds Fly Back features a lot of mysteries in the universe - things that scientists don't know, such as exactly why certain birds fly back and forth to the same place every year. The novel deals with people disappearing and then returning, and the two ideas just fit. 

8) Will you be holding any author events for the release of your debut novel? 

Yes! Details for my US events are on my website, carliesorosiak.com, and I'll have UK information available soon.

I hope maybe you'll visit Ireland on a bookish event some day soon...

9) Why should we read your book? What makes it different to all the other books already published? 

If Birds Fly Back tackles mysteries of the universe - and I even came up with my own astrophysical theories, featured in the novel. It's also sun-drenched and summery, and I've been told it's great for fans of Nicola Yoon!

10) Now, the much debated question, do you prefer e-books of physical copies? 

Physical copies, all the way!    

100% agree, an e-book just doesn't compare!  

And that is it, the end of the interview! I would like to say a massive thank you to Carlie Sorosiak, this interview has been such a fun experience and I've had such a good time!
Don't forget to pre-order your copy of If Birds Fly Back out June 27th! 

You can find out more information about Carlie on her website,carliesorosiak.com. You can also follow her on twitter, @carliesorosiak

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...