Wednesday 10 August 2016

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Anna and French kiss book review!  

Ok so, I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did but much to my suprise it was actually really really good and I had finished the book after a few hours of reading.

So, the book is about a girl called Anna (obviously) from America and her dad sends her to an American boarding school in Paris, France called SOAP which stands for School of America in Paris.  I think it is fair to say that Anna doesn't like the idea of moving to France on her own for year and leaving behind all her friends as she puts up quite a fight. However, Anna settled into life in Paris just  fine making great friends: Meredith, Rashmi, Josh and of course Étienne St Clair.

This book is definitely worth the read; the Paris setting is beautiful and this book has some really strong characters who really developed well. This book is part of a three book series however the other books aren't centred around the main characters of this book although these characters do make appearances throughout the following books in the series. 

Of course I don't want to spoil the book for anyone who hasn't read it yet so if you haven't read the book yet I would really recommend that you think about giving it a go. 


*SPOILER SECTION- BEWARE

I actually don't really have a whole to say about the book apart from the fact that I loved it so this section is probably going to be pretty short!

The main thing I want to comment on is Anna's character which is in my opinion very strong. Moving away from everything you have known to a place which is unfamiliar has to be pretty hard especially if it is not even your own choice. I don't think I could do it but look how well Anna coped. Yes, she was upset at the beginning but look how she managed to pull herself together and make friends and relax into a new culture where she didn't even know the language. Yes, it took a while for her to completely relax but in just a few months she felt comfortable going places on her own without her new friends by her side. Look how strong Anna was near the end even when it was hard and she fought with Meredith she was still able to stand up for her friend. Yes, I think she made a mistake not trying to talk to her friends and Étienne (St Clair??) but nobody is perfect and it all worked out well in the end which is the main thing.

The other character I would like to discuss is Étienne St Clair. I just want to say that I loved his character he was so funny and a generally happy person. I love his friendship with Josh they have such a good friendship and I imagine Josh will miss him very much when he goes off to university in Berekeley. The only thing I wish Étienne had done earlier was end things with Ellie however I understand that he was scared to do this but I'm glad this resolved in the end. I also wish Étienne had the strength to stand up to his dad sooner although I am really happy that Anna helped him (even though I don't think she should have been listening to the conversation between Étienne and his dad!) with this and I know that Étienne will be able to this in the future.

Overall I really enjoyed this book by Stephanie Perkins. I loved the Paris setting and I know that the author put in a lot of research into the book to make places in Paris were represented properly and i liked how the author did include many places in Paris to add to the story she was trying to tell. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...